Thursday, October 13, 2005

Motorola ROKR -- Should be BOMBR

Motorola's ROKR phone, the first to combine an I-Tunes player with a phone is apparently a stinker, both in sales and with critics. The system is said to not be much of a phone or player, with slow load speeds for songs and a VERY limited capacity.

But an article I read on Salon.com I believe hit the nail on the head. A guy said words to the effect of "I use my I-pod to get away from my cell phone. Why would I want to get calls on it?"

But looking at that very statement shows where Motorola went wrong. Most people want to separate business from pleasure, and with alleged partner Apple introducing a tiny, cooler Ipod, carrying a phone you really like and a music player you really like truly isn't a burden.

I still think a phone based MP3 player isn't a bad idea, but it makes more sense on a phone that couples lots of features already, and it shouldn't overwhelm the capabilities of the phone, which is still why people buy a mobile phone in the first place.

No comments: