Tuesday, November 23, 2004

When Black Friday comes.....

Black Friday. I had never heard this term for the day after Thanksgiving until last year. Now there are whole websites devoted to talking about the sales (and leaking sale prices) on that day.

Now I can't say I've ventured out to REALLY shop on this day recently, especially not at 6 AM.

Which leads me to this thought....

Why in the world do all of these companies start their sales at 6 AM? I understand the thinking that you want to catch people before everyone else does, and that if they happen to come late, maybe you snag them for the stuff that isn't ridiculously low. But......

Why not promote opening your stores at noon? If you're a big enough store (like Target), the promise of a crazy sale later in the day will have people holding money back for you, and probably snag more people who find the idea of getting up at 6 on the day after Turkey Day insanity.

Or maybe not.

No comments: