Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Subway -- Jared is right. Subway's a healthy alternative to the wax paper wrapped heart attacks at other restaurants. I enjoy their sandwiches quite a bit, even if they have less meat on them than Kate Moss on a hunger strike. Having visited 178 Subways in my lifetime (all within a mile radius of my house), I've noticed that almost all of them have the following in common:

1) Awful bathrooms. I think one of them near me was used to film Trainspotting.
2) Sub Nazi owners. My local one has a husband and wife (I assume) who act like you're trying to rip them off when you ask for an extra napkin.
3) The Subway half measure and/or Elastic Veggies. The half measure is when your "sub artist" takes a large handful of vegetables and taunts your sandwich with them, holding them over, as though blessing your sandwich with them, but then only puts half of them on your sandwich. The rest go back in the bins. Elastic Veggies is when the worker grabs a tiny amount of vegetables and pulls them apart with both hands as though willing them to fill the entire length of your sandwich.
4) The one sub, one napkin rule. This rule seems universal. While most fast food places will allow you to pull a ream of napkins out if you want, Subway keeps them under lock and key and has its workers parcel them out like they're giving out gold bullion. I wonder if Jared has to ask for more than one
5) The gloves. I have never figured this one out. They're doing sandwiches, not surgery. For all I know, the guy just swabbed the toilets with his elbows just prior to slipping on the gloves. A thin layer of plastic (which that person grabbed all up and down while slipping on his fingers) isn't going to protect me from Mad Sub Disease or any other sub bourne illness.

I can only figure that Subway is 1) run by the biggest tightwad franchisees in the business or 2) charges so much for its supplies that its owners have to pinch every last penny or go under. All of the above are minor annoyances, but I'd love to once have a sub where I didn't have to ask them to put more vegetables on.

No comments: